[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Wed Apr 20 08:17:39 PDT 2022

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022, Carl Edquist wrote:

>> I hope the maintainer of fetchmail decides to include OAUTH2 support.

> Actually (and maybe this will be potentially interesting to some others

> here), apparently the development branch for the unreleased fetchmail 7 does

> contain some amount of oauth2 support, despite the maintainer's original

> reluctance.

OAUTH2 support has been has been in the contrib section of fetchmail 7 for
at least 4 years. On Saturday (16 April 2022) Matthias Andree, the
fetchmail maintainer, wrote
https://sourceforge.net/p/fetchmail/mailman/fetchmail-users/?viewmonth=202204&viewday=16

So if the abomination of hundreds of pages of a "standard" just for
authentication by itself does NOT suffice to implement OAuth2, then
we should probably leave it out and remove the experimental bits
that are in fetchmail's code before a release, even from contrib,
and replace them with a document README.OAuth2 that starts with
"why does fetchmail not implement OAuth2".

Or else somebody show me to a mail service that is not just some
SOHO site and that *does* implement OAuth2 without requiring
jumping through arbitrary hoops and showing dressage tricks or play
sit up and beg or something, then we can implement it and document
"why you cannot use OAuth2 with Google" instead.

so I fear that the reluctance to support OAUTH2 has not gone away :-(

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew at aitchison.me.uk