[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Thu Apr 21 04:15:35 PDT 2022

On 2022-04-20 12:59, Carl Edquist wrote:

> Hi Eduardo,

> Thanks a bunch for taking the time to give a thoughtful reply!

> (The fetchmail daemon also prompts for a password on startup, but this

> is once per process lifetime, which equates to once per system boot.)

> I had tried out another approach - to make two separate alpine configs.

> The first one with a rule to move mail on arrival from an IMAP inbox to

> a local spool mbox file.  The idea is this would sit open as some kind

> of an, um, foreground daemon that does what i was used to getting out of

> fetchmail.  This could even sit inside a screen(1) session or something.

> Then a second config that would not use IMAP at all (and not need any

> password), which would use the local spool mbox as my inbox.  This would

> be the one i'd use for normal alpine driving (reading, composing, etc),

> and i could open up as many of these as i like in separate windows.

> The main trouble with this approach (besides it feeling a little clunky,

> the fetching instance needing to live in a separate pty somewhere), is

> if the instance connected to IMAP doing the fetching gets a [MAIL FOLDER

> "INBOX" CLOSED DUE TO ACCESS ERROR], i'm afraid it might get stuck there

> unnoticed, waiting for user input before it attempts to reconnect.  On

> the other hand, fetchmail polls in a loop, so transient failures don't

> really cause any noticeable problems.

> I'd be open to suggestions if anyone has a better way to accomplish this

> in alpine.

> Jason, thanks also for the tip about OfflineIMAP, and the links.  It

> looks like it might be promising, except that for the time being i am

> mostly just interested in output to an mbox file, which does not look to

> be supported or planned:

imapsync, which I mentioned in another post, doesn't care. It syncs
between imap servers, so in my case, one remote, one local using
dovecot; and my dovecot writes to mbox.

It could be set as a cron job.

Of course, if you are not already using a local imap server it is an
extra complication.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.