[Alpine-info] Advice needed: what SMTP server would work?

Carl Edquist gatetman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:09:57 PDT 2022

On Sun, 24 Apr 2022, Riku Virtanen wrote:

> Hi all,

> I have an issue with SMTP server and log in requirement.

> Currently, my smtp setting is

> smtp.gmail.com/ssl/user=myusername at gmail.com/auth=xoauth2

> Every time I log into a new wifi network, in a hotel, in train etc, I

> have to open a Internet browser and log into gmail, or I cannot send my

> emails via Alpine. This (log in process) is a problem when I normally

> use only command line prompt, and the log into Gmail need to do in

> startx.

Apart from the (probably better) solution of finding another email
provider; you can get around this with a VPN, which can give you a
predictable public IP address despite connecting from wherever.

Also, if you happen to have ssh access to a server somewhere with a stable
IP address, you could shell in and run alpine from there.

Maybe not ideal, but i think each of these will avoid the extra web login.

Carl