[Alpine-info] Two newbie-ish questions

Milt Epstein mepstein at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 23 10:45:34 PDT 2022

I had noticed the same thing. That is, I'd go to save the message to
another folder, and the message at the bottom of the screen would be:

SAVE Msg ##### to folder in <Local Folders> [saved-messages] :

and entering INBOX (or similar) wouldn't work -- it would try to
create another file/folder named "INBOX". At one point I noticed I
could use ^T ("To Fldrs") to go to my list of folders, go up to INBOX
and select it, and then it would do the right thing. Just now I tried
that again, and after selecting INBOX the message at the bottom of the
screen was:

SAVE Msg ##### to folder in <Incoming-Folders> [saved-messages] : INBOX

And I thought, "Hmm, that's the same as the other message, why does it
work and the other one doesn't"; but then I took a closer look and saw
that it wasn't quite the same -- it's got "<Incoming-Folders>" rather
than "<Local Folders>".

With this insight, I retried the original save, noticed there was a
command/keystroke available ^P ("Prev Collection"), and upon trying
that, it switched "<Local Folders>" to "<Incoming-Folders>", and then
I was able to specify INBOX.

tl;dr Hit ^P to switch which set of folders you're trying to save to
before entering INBOX.

Milt Epstein
mepstein at illinois.edu
Instructional Designer