[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Mon May 2 10:28:48 PDT 2022

On Mon, 2 May 2022, Sewell, David R (drs2n) wrote:

> I finally got a reply from my university's manager of Microsoft Services

> to my request that Alpine be authorized as a client to connect with our

> Outlook services. This was the response:

> Hi David,

> Even if we were to authorize Alpine for use in our tenant its

> functionality wouldn’t work past August when Microsoft deprecates basic

> auth with SMTP auth. I feel non outlook clients are not long for this

> world in the eyes of Microsoft.

> Is he correct about this?

Dear David,

What Microsoft called "basic authentication" is what we are accustomed
to thinking of "username/password". That is what Google calls "less secure
apps". In reality, an administrator can disable username/password and that
is what Microsoft is going to do by default, instead of having
administrators disable them. In my college our administrator disabled
username/password a long time ago (about a year ago) and so I have been
using XOAUTH2 to login to our exchange server for a long time without any
problems (in both sides of the issue, as a user or from the administrator
side.)

In the list or reasons that I wrote that you quoted that was my point
#2. That seems to be the only concern that the adminstrator has, but
forwarding the message does not hurt, as it contains many more details
that might be helpful for your administrator to know about Alpine before
they make their final decision.

I wish you success!

--
Eduardo