[Alpine-info] sending mails with alpine

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Wed Oct 12 02:14:45 PDT 2022

On 2022-10-12 10:55, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> wrong: I have no such problem with thunderbird

Yes, you have. I can see it in your headers.

As evidenced here:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .**************

The problem is explained in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail

cer at Telcontar:~> nslookup -type=txt gmail.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
gmail.com text =
"globalsign-smime-dv=CDYX+XFHUw2wml6/Gb8+59BsH31KzUr6c1l2BPvqKX8="
gmail.com text = "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.google.com"

cer at Telcontar:~> nslookup -type=txt _spf.google.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
_spf.google.com text = "v=spf1 include:_netblocks.google.com
include:_netblocks2.google.com include:_netblocks3.google.com ~all"

cer at Telcontar:~>

So, "~ALL".

ALL Matches always; used for a default result like -all for all IPs not
matched by prior mechanisms.

~ (tilde) for SOFTFAIL, a debugging aid between NEUTRAL and FAIL.
Typically, messages that return a SOFTFAIL are accepted but tagged.

We are lucky that they are not in enforce mode.

> BTW: how to use "gmail own servers" ?

You are using free.fr to send this email (smarthost configuration,
probably). You have to use gmail.com instead.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.3 x86_64 at Telcontar)