[Alpine-info] ical display confuses me about timezones.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Sep 16 09:23:46 PDT 2022

I rarely deal with ical but I'm glad Alpine knows how to display ical
entries.

I've noticed times reported as "Eastern Standard Time" even if they are
actually in "Easter Daylight Savings Time". In this message I explore
why.

Here's an example:
Start Date: Wed 2022-10-12 09:30 AM (Eastern Standard Time)
End Date: Wed 2022-10-12 10:20 AM (Eastern Standard Time)
Those are really Eastern Daylight Times. The time is right for EDT.

Here's what I've been reading about the ical standard with respect to
timezones:
<https://icalendar.org/iCalendar-RFC-5545/3-6-5-time-zone-component.html>

Here's an example of the timezone part of an ical entry that displays
incorrectly in Alpine. It was generated by some Microsoft thing. I
have added indention to make the structure clear.

BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Eastern Standard Time
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0400
TZOFFSETTO:-0500
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0500
TZOFFSETTO:-0400
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE

It would make more sense if the STANDARD and DAYLIGHT sections
contained TZID. The ical standard allows this but does not require
this. Microsoft doesn't seem to generate these optional TZIDs.

What can/should Alpine do?

- lobby ical to make tzid mandatory standardc and daylightc sections.
Not likely to happen and even if it did, it would take a long time
to filter down to implementations.

- does Alpine even know if daylight time is in effect for a particular
date?

- does Alpine know the daylight name of the timezone (clearly not the
TZID)? Is it easy to derive one?

I do think something should be done since the current displayed timezone
is actually incorrect for times falling in daylight dates.