[Alpine-info] ical display confuses me about timezones.

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Fri Sep 16 18:59:11 PDT 2022

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> I've noticed times reported as "Eastern Standard Time" even if they are

> actually in "Easter Daylight Savings Time". In this message I explore

> why.

> Here's an example:

> Start Date: Wed 2022-10-12 09:30 AM (Eastern Standard Time)

> End Date: Wed 2022-10-12 10:20 AM (Eastern Standard Time)

> Those are really Eastern Daylight Times. The time is right for EDT.

The sending agent added the parameter TZID with value Eastern Standard
Time to the DTSTART field in the event. That is where Alpine takes this
value from. This means the TZID field is incorrect from origin.

I do realize, however, that it is possible to compute the correct timezone
in effect at the time of the event from the VTIMEZONE description and
overriding the value received by Alpine in the DTSTART field, so I will
look into that and update the repository to reflect this observation.

I will also look into other fields that need to be corrected.

Thank you for your input. It is appreaciated!

--
Eduardo