[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Fri Dec 1 23:13:05 PST 2023

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023, jason-alpine-info at shalott.net wrote:

>> I will say one thing about the method Carlos posted to

>> remove the password file. I was aware of this, and I have

>> seen posts like this in the past. Alpine has the ability

>> to remove this password too, and I have posted in the past

>> how to do this. This means, there are two ways to remove

>> the password from the encryption key, and I will modify

>> Alpine to force everyone to have a password in the

>> encryption key.

> Can I ask what the specific threat model is that this step

> is meant to combat?

If I understand correctly, the threat is that a rogue
web script can upload the password file and decrypt it at
leisure.

> An attacker with local root doesn't need to care about any

> disk encryption; he can read your decrypted master key and

> the plaintext of your IMAP passwords directly from memory.

> And of course a local attacker who doesn't have root can be

> guarded against simply with filesystem permissions.

For a remote attacker that has gained shell-level access to
the user account, uploading a file is easier than finding
the password in the memory of a running process
- and that only works if alpine is currently running.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew at aitchison.me.uk