[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Damion Yates damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 03:16:22 PST 2023

On Sun, Dec 3, 2023 at 11:28 PM Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> Eduardo Chappa said on Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:39:47 -0700 (MST)

> >On Sun, 3 Dec 2023, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> >> [...]

> >> I am quite concerned about the moves of gmail moving away from IMAP

> >> sometimes next year. I am seeking solutions ...

> >IMAP will continue to be supported by Gmail, what will not be

> >supported is that you use username/password authentication. Instead

> >you will have to set up Oauth2, which you can do with Alpine.

> Can Fetchmail do oauth2? Does any Fetchmail substitute (getmail, for

> instance) do Oauth2?

Yes.

Also I use offlineimap which syncs back and forth to a local Maildir folder
structure.

This is compatible with many clients but also allows you to use a local
imap daemon
which can be faster for access (caching, indexing for searching speedups
etc).

I use the Maildir patches for alpine as this is slightly faster than direct
IMAP access
it also doesn't need you to auth with anything, as offlineimap is doing
that.

HTH,

- Damion