[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Sat Dec 9 17:10:54 PST 2023

El 2023-11-26 a las 16:26 -0500, Karen Lewellen escribió:

> Currently uses alpine to access their gmail account.

> A bit of context

> I experience sight loss, with basic html my only direct access to my gmail

> account..which has been removed as of last Monday.

> I use my gmail account personally and professionally, its lost is quite quite

> quite a situation for me.

> There is an associate in Toronto who is aiming to provide an email setup,

> configuring alpine to access gmail, but he has never configured alpine

> before.

I forgot to mention something which perhaps might be of use to those
people using gmail accounts and having difficulties with authentication.

Besides the free gmail accounts that we all have, gmail also provides
accounts to associations or businesses, like for example, the ieee.
Members of the ieee have addresses like someone at ieee.org, which in fact is
handled by gmail, most likely for a fee.

The important thing is that the association defines the security policy.
On ieee there is no nagging to use only oauth2, no nagging about less
secure applications, no nagging about having a phone for recovery or a
second factor, no nagging about using application passwords. It works as
it always did, and gmail keeps silent.

It is not only the ieee, I belong to another association in Spain which
also uses gsuite, similar rules.

So I suggest that you create some association or enterprise, and use gmail
through them. Some association for people with difficulties or whatever.

Just saying, in case it helps.

- --
Cheers
Carlos E. R.