[Alpine-info] alpine and gmail filtering?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed Dec 20 14:57:22 PST 2023

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> As an example, when I send a gmail, the message is not placed in my sent

> messages folder, instead it just gets saved to my inbox.

I suppose that, if you send via Alpine, you can always specify in Fcc:
explicitly the (local?) folder where you want to archive. Actually you
can also associate in your alpine addressbook an Fcc: for each addreess
(my usage is to store both incoming and outgoing messages tyo/from
somebody in a folder by person or project ... I never use sent-mail).

But I send via a non-gmail SMTP in 98% of the cases.

> If I delete something, at least just now, it is not actually removed,

delete AND expunge ? If you do not expunge items are just marked for
deletion (in alpine)

gmail is somewhat odd, I think it moves deleted items to Bin. But alpine
can access gmail's Bin, and do ; A A D X (Select All Apply Delete eXpunge)
to cleanup Bin. I do it once per day (my fetchmail empties gmail inbox,
but a copy is made in Bin anyhow)

> 1, gmail uses a different folder / labeling system from alpine

Yes I guess so. I never managed to understand it although perhaps one
colleague did. But I use only Bin and Spam. ll my other folders are local

> 2, my resource who is new to alpine is missing a folder filter step

> allowing alpine to control where items go?

Other can reply about this. I do not use alpine filtering (which anyhow
works when you enter alpine). I use procmail for filtering (at delivery
time), but to use that with gmail I need to use fetchmail also. Whose
future with gmail is uncertain.

I think I sent you some details on my config about one month ago.