[Alpine-info] Maildir folder-collection

Paolo andretta at apf.it
Fri Dec 22 10:55:50 PST 2023

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> As I wrote, I have sync the mail to a new server (both use Dovecot,

>> different versions, but I think this isn't interesing).

> Then, why are you trying to tell alpine to access the files directly, instead

> of using dovecot?

I was supposing Alpine is using dovecot to access the folders (it
authenticate on startup), but probably there is some path/prefix that
need to be configured. And I can't find the configuration that give me a
normal operanting situation.

>> I personally prefer mbox over Maidir for historical reason and because I am

>> lazy and Maildir probably require me to revise all my old settings,

>> procmail rules, management scripts, ... but it is the de facto standard for

>> many configurations and it is better for backup/sync ...

> Dovecot works fine with mbox.

> I do not use Maildir.

Neither I, until now, but I want to align to all my other services/users.

--

Thanks,
Paolo