[Alpine-info] Maildir folder-collection

jason-alpine-info at shalott.net jason-alpine-info at shalott.net
Fri Dec 22 15:10:11 PST 2023

> You just tell Alpine the imap server and folder to use, same as with any

> external mail server. Not the local path.

You can get the best of both worlds: using Dovecot to access your mail,
but taking advantage of the fact that you're on the same local host and
skipping the network connection and the authentication. This is both the
safest option and the most performant option (fastest startup times,
fastest searching and sorting, etc), especially for very large maildirs.

The way that I achieve this is to set Rsh Path to a local script that
calls the Dovecot IMAP backend:

% grep rsh-path ~/.pinerc
rsh-path=/usr/local/bin/pine-local-imap

% cat /usr/local/bin/pine-local-imap
#!/bin/sh
cd ${HOME}/Maildir/ || exit 1
exec /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap 2>/dev/null

Then set Inbox Path to "{localhost/novalidate-cert}INBOX", Folder
Collection to "{localhost/novalidate-cert}[]", etc. (And if you share
with other, potentially non-local IMAP clients -- e.g., your phone -- set
FCC, Postponed, etc to match their expectations, e.g. Default Fcc =
"{localhost/novalidate-cert}Sent", etc.)

-Jason