[Alpine-info] incoming collections (and not)

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Sun Jan 1 12:00:24 PST 2023

In my .pinerc I have defined a list of incoming folders, and a number of
folder collections. Most of these point to LOCAL folders or directories,
with just three exceptions:

- in the incoming folders I have two external sites
Gsuite {imap.gmail.com:993/ssl/novalidate-cert/notls/user=...}
RCM {pop.retecivica.milano.it/service=pop3/user=...}

- in the normal collections I have one
"All Gsuite" {imap.gmail.com:993/ssl/notls/user=...}[[Gmail]]/[]

- the first is checked SELDOM, it is the inbox on Gsuite which is
copied to inbox by fetchmai, every 5 min via crontab. I check it
ONLY if I don't want or can't wait 5 min (e.g. site enabling)

- the second is also is checked SELDOM, it is the inbox on another
provider, copied to inbox by fetchmai 3-4 times in a day

- the third is the entire Gsuite repository other than inbox.
De facto it contains only Spam and Bin, which I empty about
once per day.

Of course there is nothing strange that entering those folders have to
type a password.

The curious thing is that when, after having just started alpine, I type L
to go the collection list screen (usually to navigate to other local
collections)

This asks the Gsuite password (but not the RCM password).

Is this an IMAP vs POP issue, or a Gmail vs others ?

Is it possible to defer password asking only to when one of the external
folders is accessed explicitly ?

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)