[Alpine-info] PINERC file for accessing Gmail

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Sat Jan 14 08:36:40 PST 2023

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> Does anyone have an example of a .pinerc file that can directly download

> imap mail from Gmail using an application specific password?

> I had such a file but it no longer works.

I am not sure that application specific passwords are still supported by
google; they have been trying to replace them for some years.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
tells you how to create and use them. Following those instructions should
confirm that you still have an application specific password.

Failing that, I have just confirmed that the (X)OAUTH2 support in
Alpine allows me to set up and *read* my gmail via imap.
I have not tested *downloading* this email.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew at aitchison.me.uk