[Alpine-info] Alpine and GMX mail

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Sat Jan 28 13:05:46 PST 2023

I wrote:

> Then Alpine changed to require a long password to even open the

> application, this is another complicated process to remove it, I've guided

> some through the process which isn't too difficult for those who can see,

> but if your blind it is a challenge.

Damion Yates replied:
I'm unsure what this is. Alpine doesn't didn't do this for me unless I've
configured it with a passfile and even then it needn't be long.
Is this very new? Is this a distribution issue on some linux distribution
or macos?

The new alpine password is fairly new. Eduardo gave me the method to
remove it, perhaps your using an older version of alpine before this was
implemented.

I'm using Alpine 2.25, and to remove the Alpine password you have to do
this.

Start alpine
Press C for setup
Press M for S/MIME

Scroll all the way to the bottom to:
Manage Password File Key and Certificate

Again go to the very bottom where it says "Current Public Certificate and
Key:
Highlight the entry under that, and press enter.

You will be asked for your Alpine password - NOT your email password, and
you will then be able to remove your Alpine password.

Follow the instructions and delete your Alpine password.

Regards,
David