[Alpine-info] invalid_grant error AADSTS70043: expired or invalid refresh token

Chamberlain, Brad bradford.chamberlain at hpe.com
Mon Jul 17 09:55:34 PDT 2023

Hello alpine community —

I returned from a week's vacation this morning, fired up alpine and have been getting error messages that are unfamiliar to me. Upon trying to open my inbox, I get:

      [>Code 400: invalid_grant: AADSTS70043: The refresh token has expired or is invalid due to sign-in frequenc<]

And when trying to send a mail, I get the similar error:

      [>Error sending: Code 400: invalid_grant: AADSTS70043: The refresh token has expired or is invali<]

The mention of sign-in frequency is confusing to me since I haven't signed in ~10 days time (unless it's actually referring to a lack of frequency?).

This is running alpine from my desktop Mac using the homebrew formula for alpine 2.26 and an outlook.office365.com inbox path using xoauth2 authorization. This configuration has been working like a charm since I switched to it a month or so ago, so I'm hoping the fix is something simple.

In the past, I've been directed to do the little handshake with Outlook through a web browser at some frequency (every few months) and am wondering whether I just need to force / request that to happen in some way?

Thanks for any tips,
-Brad