[Alpine-info] newsserver password

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue May 2 06:42:20 PDT 2023

Due to the failure of the AIOE newsserver I was using, I moved to another
news server which requires username and password.

I tried touch .pine-passfile and now it offers to save the pwd on disk,
but requires the generation of a master password, and asks all the times
Enter password of key <MasterPassword> to unlock password file

De facto this replaces an annoyance with another annoyance. I mean, I
always have to give a pwd ... so just keep the original.

I read the doc on https://alpineapp.email/, tried also with
[X] S/MIME -- Turn off S/MIME
hoping the weaker encryption would do the trick, but the result is the
same

BTW this is Alpine 2.22 bundled with Xubuntu at home.
At work I have 2.21 built from source with "all patches", I believe.
I never bothered to recomoile at home (for real mail I use the office
machine). Would be availalbe to recompile if there woyuld be a patch to
suppress the pwd prompt.

BTW where are the ALPINE patches on https://alpineapp.email/ ?
The patch section still has references to Pine.

Thanks
--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)