[Alpine-info] newsserver password

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed May 3 12:52:08 PDT 2023

On Tue, 2 May 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2023-05-02 15:42, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>> I tried touch .pine-passfile and now it offers to save the pwd on disk,

>> but requires the generation of a master password, and asks all the times

>> Enter password of key <MasterPassword> to unlock password file

> I suppose it is the same master password for email as for news. I just

> enter that master password, for email, just once.

I never used a master password. Neither in alpine nor in my browser (were
I have lots of password stored)

> I have two files:

> rw------- 1 cer users 1814 Apr 12 11:49 .pinepw

> -rw------- 1 cer users 55941 Apr 11 08:44 .pinerc

Of course I have .pinerc, the other is .pine-passfile (must be touched,
and once created empty gets populated

> There is also a directory, but I can't find it or its name. Ah,

> ".alpine-smime/"

Yes, there is, it usually contains three subdir ca private public. If I
accept storing password a new subdir .pw with two certificate files is
created. Even if I keep S/Mime disabled.

Since I read news from a dedicated (local, captive) account (not to leak
my e-mail address), I have to type either: one pwd to enter the account,
and one pwd to enter the news collection; or one pwd to enter the account,
and one master pwd to access the stored passwords.

So it is simpler NOT to use any stored password. The script which runs
the local account echoes the local account password, so I can
cut-and-paste it. And I've efined the newsserver account pwd to be the
same plus two extra characters (length limit). so I type just those two
chars.

That's so far my sort-of acceptable solution.