[Alpine-info] Signing with S/MIME.

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Sat Nov 18 17:08:45 PST 2023

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> There is something not clear. The help text says:

> «After you have exported these certificates and keys, you can use the

> import command in Alpine, from the S/MIME configuration screen, to

> import these certificates into Alpine. They will be available for use as

> soon as you import them.»

> I suppose these are the import commands. But what is "container"?

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Be careful with the following commands, they REPLACE contents in the target

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Transfer public certs FROM directory TO container

> Transfer private keys FROM directory TO container

> Transfer CA certs FROM directory TO container

> Transfer public certs FROM container TO directory

> Transfer private keys FROM container TO directory

> Transfer CA certs FROM container TO directory

Hello Carlos,

those commands allow you to move certificates between places. A
container is a file that contains lots of certificates. Like a folder is
to email. In a container you will find certificates one after the other.
The most common method today is to have a one-file-per-certificate, so it
can be easily managed (deleted or replaced, for example). Take a look at
the commands under this section

-----------------------------
Manage your own certificates
-----------------------------

Manage Public Certificates
Manage Private Keys
Manage Certificate Authorities

> So I just copied:

> MAIL at ADDRESS.key -> ~/.alpine-smime/private/

> MAIL at ADDRESS.crt -> ~/.alpine-smime/public/

> certificate-ca.crt -> ~/.alpine-smime/ca/ (is this name correc?)

copy MAIL at ADDRESS.crt to ~/.alpine-smime/ca/ also.

Do you mind sharing "ls -lR ~/.alpine-smime" with me if this does not
work?

Another thing to check. Here is some of the content of my keys:

private/eduardo.chappa at gmx.com.key:
-----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY-----
MIIFHDBOBgkqhkiG................
............ lots of lines .....