[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Thu Nov 30 11:20:34 PST 2023

On 2023-11-30 17:45, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Simply offering a personal opinion here.

> One concern I have reading both the question and the answer is the

> assumption that  there is a uniformed applies to everyone sharing a

> label like blind people  problem.

> Typing a complex password is a challenge in general, with finding a

> solution   that benefits everyone equally helpful.

Ok.

> I am far more concerned that google could uniformly remove display

> choices, taking away basic html which helps many populations as well,

> including those who may experience sight loss.

IMHO, you should ask/complain to google about this.

In Spain, there is an official organization for blind people, the ONCE,
which should undertake this.

> Indeed technology can provide options.  but speaking personally, many

> who lead with generalized terms like blind people have also limited the

> options those sharing that label can use.

> If you are not, cannot, or choose not to define your technology

> approaches from   a term I have read from others, a blind elite

> standpoint, you are not a good blind person.

> the simple ability to cut and copy the password somewhere else, and

> place that password in the required field would solve the problem.

You can do that with Alpine. I do, but I use a graphical environment to
be able to open the whatever that contains the password data for all
accounts, select and copy with the mouse, then paste into the alpine
terminal.

I don't know if you can do that, or you are using a pure text terminal.

There are password storage applications that can paste the password with
a menu choice or shortcut key. But they run in a graphical environment,
those I know.

In Linux, you can use the service "gpm" to use the mouse in text mode,
then copy from one terminal and paste into another. I don't know if you
can do this.

> Of course many lack the keyboard skills, or the lower graphics

> environment that made that possible, or any number of things.

> my understanding too is the password simply needs doing once.

> choose a master password easy to remember.

Warning: occasionally there may be some error, and Alpine asks for the
mail account password again, even if enter the same password saved in
the password file. Even aborting and restarting Alpine doesn't work, it
will ask for both the account password and the master password.

There is no option to tell Alpine to try again the stored password.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 15.5 (Laicolasse))