[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 16:30:55 PST 2023

I mentioned using `openssl` earlier.  The URLs from Carlos earlier in
the thread, explain that you can use openssl to blank that password and
then you don't have to type anything.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1349401/how-to-remove-the-master-password-for-the-alpine-pine-e-mail-client

https://comp.mail.pine.narkive.com/UcMK4NZG/suppress-master-password-prompt

Looking at my shell history I can see I did this in June 2021 and never
looked back.

It's roughly:

```
cd ~/.alpine-smine/.pwd mv MasterPassword.key
MasterPassword.key.orig openssl rsa -in MasterPassword.key.orig -out
MasterPassword.key
```

But review the URLs and maybe read `man openssl` as I might have missed
something. I /think/ but I'm not certain, that clearing the files in
.pwd/ will let you start alpine and get to pick another master password,
equally deleting the passfile. But as I don't really want to
repeat/replicate this right now (I'm still at work and it's gone
midnight here in London), you're on your own.

Best wishes,

- Damion