[Alpine-info] Inbox Zero with Alpine, anyone ?

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 03:21:41 PDT 2023

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> All is said in the title. Does anyone of you practice the Inbox Zero

> mail strategy inside Alpine ? If so, what tips can you share or what

> would be the best settings you use ?

> I recently switched back to Slackware and Alpine (instead of Mac and

> Mail Mac), so far, I'm like a fish in water but still learnign Alpine

> again :)

Thank you for this email, it's full of nostalgia for me :)

I've not had enough spare time due to work and kids to unpack my
personal desktop in ~6 years. On that machine my main dist of choice
since the 1990s was (technically still is) Slackware.

I've used the work provided debian-like dist for years instead. However
I do use alpine every day.

As my backend is gmail's IMAP, I've configured deleting to do an archive
from inbox. However I don't tend to delete (archive) anyway, I do a
form of inbox-zero where I make sure everything is read.

I only have time to go through email a few times in a day, often a long
sweep in the in the early hours if I've had a long day of meetings and
then dealing with the kids once I got home.

I'll occasionally leave unread emails for the state of reviewing again
within a reasonable timescale, but this leads to a slight ramp up of
anxiety after a number of days, so I'll sweep through and move to a todo
list or reply when I can find time.

Viewing the remaining new unreads is as simple as ;snG with a ^W^V and a
few -'s to page up, if there are a lot, but I've left historically old
emails unread which I constantly ignore. I get between 50 and 500
emails a day, but some of those are pre-filtered into other labels
(folders) where I perform the same actions as the inbox.

I tend to leave the last several tens of thousands of emails in the
various monitored inboxes (incoming-folders=) so that I can search
within them. Otherwise they're lost to me short of opening the gmail
web UI and using that to look for archived emails.

HTH,

- Damion