[Alpine-info] Test mail to "Forwarded mail partially invisible in Outlook"

Andreas Schamanek schamane at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Feb 17 14:18:49 PST 2024

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024, at 18:49, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2024-02-17 15:27, Olaf Skibbe wrote:

>> This is a test mail to show the problem of invisible parts in outlook.

> In Evince it shows practically identical than in Thunderbird, just that the

> separator for parts is clearer.

> It is only outlook that shows a problem. I can not imagine why.

Yes, it does have a weird MIME structure, though. I wonder how this is
even possible:

+ multipart/mixed;
BOUNDARY=_006_f9f72ac8b6ea412a8e31c5afe245c39ecamuniheidelbergde_

+ text/plain; CHARSET=US-ASCII; format=flowed

+ multipart/related;
BOUNDARY=_005_f9f72ac8b6ea412a8e31c5afe245c39ecamuniheidelbergde_;
TYPE="multipart/alternative"

+ multipart/alternative;
BOUNDARY=_000_f9f72ac8b6ea412a8e31c5afe245c39ecamuniheidelbergde_

+ text/plain; CHARSET=iso-8859-1
+ text/html; CHARSET=iso-8859-1

+ text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I can say with quite some confidence that Alpine on its own would
not produce such a message. I haven't looked but I guess a capital
"BOUNDARY" is not even in the source code.

Also note that none of the attachments features a "Content-Type:
message/rfc822" which is to be expected for a forwarded _message_
including headers.

So, my guess is that Olaf actually forwarded attachments rather than a
complete RFC822 message including headers, and, assuming he did use
Alpine, that some processing afterwards changed the MIME structure.
The fact that "camuniheidelbergde" appears right in 1st boundary,
is also suspicious.

BTW, the last "text/plain; charset="us-ascii" is just the footer added
by the alpine-info mailing list.

--
-- Andreas

:-)