[Alpine-info] Forwarded mail partially invisible in Outlook

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Mon Feb 19 10:21:30 PST 2024

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024, Olaf Skibbe wrote:

> I came across a strange issue which is most likely related to outlook.

> But since alpine is involved, I want to make sure that the problem is

> not caused by alpine.

Dear Olaf,

sorry I had not replied earlier, I've been very busy on this side of the
screen. The problem is not Alpine, the problem is the outlook interface.
The way that the interface works is not the way that you would assume that
it should work. The first clue to this, is that the client (the interface
you see in the web) is not an IMAP or POP client. This interface exports
messages in a different way, and unless you are a programmer you would not
know how it works, so I will tell you a bit how that interface works and
how this is a problem in the way Alpine works.

When a message is exported through the web, the default is to export
certain parts but not all. In theory the full message could be exported,
but the default is to export a part of it. What I mean is that when you
open the message to read it the client has a choice, they can either pick
the html part (default) or the text/plain part. The latter has to be
requested explicitly. You could get both, but that would be slow, or you
could request the full message (even slower), so guess what the Outlook
interface is doing: Picking up the default, that is the HTML part.

On the other hand, Alpine IS NOT an HTML client. That means Alpine does
not edit the HTML part, so when Alpine sends something, it goes in the
text/plain part.

Now when alpine finds a html message with an inline part, in order to
not to destroy the html part it attaches it, and the text/plain part which
the user composes and the html part in the original message go back
separate in the same message. The Outlook client prefers the html part,
and there you have your problem where Outlook displays the html part which
was not touched by Alpine.

This does not happen with all text email clients. Mutt destroys the html
part and messages composed in Mutt will not have this issue, so recipients
in outlook will see messages replied to in Mutt as you typed them. Is this
the correct behavior? Would it be better to add html editing capabilities
to Alpine?

I hope this helps you understand the issue.

--
Eduardo