[Rosebowl] Sounds like we adjusted to suit SJSU

Gregory Fisher gsfisher at alaska.net
Mon Sep 4 06:46:50 PDT 2006

I don't know, but there seems to be some kind of disconnect here.  Coach Baer seems more than happy with the "adjustments" he made.  Meanwhile, SJSU commented on how our adjustments opened everything up for them.

>From a Tacoma Tribune article in Sunday's on-line edition (I've added the emphasis):

Defensive coordinator Kent Baer admitted he was surprised when the Spartans came out in a spread offense, which they hadn't shown last season.

"The beauty of college football is you never know what you're going to see," Baer said. "We didn't work one snap on any of that stuff they did - it was all completely new. I thought we adjusted to it pretty well, especially early in the game."

The Huskies shifted to a nickel defense for most of the second half in an effort to match up better with the Spartans' air attack. But that put even more strain on a secondary already stretched thin by the limitations of cornerback Dashon Goldson, who tried to play through a high ankle strain.

"Their defense changed up and opened some bigger holes for us," SJSU quarterback Adam Tafralis said. "We knew that that was a regular defense of theirs; I just didn't think we would see it that much."

Tafralis was the starter last season, but he retained his No. 1 spot in the opener because of an injury to junior college transfer Sean Flynn. Tafralis made the most of his opportunity, completing 28 of 35 passes for 323 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

"Until we get ourselves completely healthy, yes it does (concern me)," coach Tyrone Willingham said. ". It is difficult to shut down everything in passing the ball. We know that there is going to be some give, but obviously we don't want quite that much as we had this afternoon."