[Rosebowl] Arizona--better or ?

Brad Moore brad.moore at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 12 14:11:59 PDT 2009

Certainly statistics are one measure -- if one chooses to ignore the
scoreboard -- of which was the 'better' team on a given day. But there are
others:

** Which is the 'better' team:

- the one whose defense stopped its opponent 3 consecutive times on a goal
line stand inside the 2 yard line, and then again stopped its opponent on
4th down at its 1 yard line, and four times stopped its opponent in the red
zone resulting in field goals instead of a touchdown, or

- the one whose defense allowed a touchdown every time its opponent had the
ball in the red zone?

- the team that wasted 2 timeouts in the second half (including one on the
first play of the half when it had had 15 minutes to call that play), making
any comeback (if needed) exponentially more difficult, and whose coach
inexplicably called a passing play, leading by 5 with 2:37 left to play, or

- the team whose coaching staff, against incredible inertia, convinced
its once woebegone team to continue playing to the (almost) bitter end.

Of course I would not bet the mortgage that 'the miracle' would happen
again. But I would bet tomorrow -- without the benefit of hindsight -- that
the Huskies would beat Arizona again.

Isn't it great to have some real football talk on this list for once?

GO DAWGS

Brad Moore