eared grebes on Eld Inlet

betty estes brestes at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 14 12:24:24 PST 1999

I live on Eld Inlet and see eared grebes here regularly. When I scan the
water with my binoculars, the best sign that a grebe might be an eared,
rather than a horned, is that it "rides higher in the water" (or, as my
husband says, the eared "has a more bulbous butt"). When I check out those
big-rear-ended grebes with the telescope, they usually do turn out to be