bear cub near Wallace, ID

Charles Swift charless at
Thu Feb 18 09:44:36 PST 1999

Adult Black Bears should still be hibernating at this time in that part of
Idaho, however, young are born while the sows are hibernating so this cub
could have wandered away from its parent for some reason. I would not think
that another adult bear would be out and about and disturbing other
hibernating adult bears. It's not clear the elevation of the sighting but
there is certainly a good snowpack in the northern Idaho mountains right
now and I wouldn't think any healthy bear would be out at this time. Also
Idaho's spring bear hunt does not start until April 15 (and females w/
young are protected).

For more information on bears see:

Thanks, Charles.
Charles Swift