Protection Island sightings of March 20 & 21st

Port Townsend Marine Science Center ptmsc at olympus.net
Mon Mar 22 08:30:59 PST 1999

Tweeters,
The Port Townsend Marine Science Center operated two trips to Protection
Island/Kilisut Harbor on Saturday (3/20) & Sunday (3/21).  Saturday's great
weather and large number if birds on the 1st day of spring was outdone only
by Sunday's outrageous number of Bald eagle sightings (29), the 33
different bird species sighted, and the five mammal species sighted,
including a very active elephant seal on the eastern spit of Protection
Island. Remaining Spring Migration cruises are scheduled for March 27yh,
April 3, 10, 17, & 24th

Key:
P-Protection Island area, R-Rat Island/Kilisut Harbor/Indian Island area

3/20/99
Species         location
Common loon -   both
Pacific Loon - P
Western Grebe - R
Red necked grebe - Point hudson marina area
Horned grebe - R
Double crested cormorant - both
Pelagic cormorant - both
Black brant - both (in great numbers)
Black Scoter - P
White winged scoter - both
Surf Scoter - both
Harlequin Duck - both
long tailed duck - both
Black Oystercatcher - R
Black turnstone - R
Mew Gull - both
Glaucus winged gull - everywhere
Pigeon Guillemot - everywhere (in various stages of plumage)
Rhinocerous Auklet - at the Point wilson area & in Pt. townsend bay
Bald Eagle - Both (5 adults & 9 juv. on P.I)
Rock Dove - Point Hudson marina
Northwestern Crow - Point hudson marina, Rat Island
Starling - Point Hudson marina

        Mammal species
Californis Sea Lion - 2 on the Point Hudson Buoy
Harbor Seal - Protection Island

3/21/99
Species         location
Common loon -   both
Pacific Loon - both
Western Grebe - P T Bay
Red necked grebe - both
Horned grebe - both
Double crested cormorant - both
Brandt's Cormorant - on the Point hudson buoy
Pelagic cormorant - both
Great Blue Heron - R
Black brant - both (in great numbers)
Black Scoter - P
White winged scoter - both
Surf Scoter - both
Harlequin Duck - both
long tailed duck - both
Barrows goldeneye - P
Bufflehead - P
Red Breasted Merganser - both
Black Oystercatcher - P
Black turnstone - R
Sanderling - R
Mew Gull - both
Glaucus winged gull - everywhere
Common Murre - Point Wilson area
Pigeon Guillemot - everywhere (in various stages of plumage)
Rhinocerous Auklet - Point wilson area/P.T. Bay
Bald Eagle - Both 22 on Protection, at least 7 in Rat I. area (primarily
juv. & on Indian Island)
Red Tail Hawk - Indian I.
Rock Dove - Point Hudson marina
Belted Kingfisher - R
Violet green swallow - P
Northwestern Crow - everywhere
Starling - R

Mammal species
Californis Sea Lion - 1 on the Point Hudson Buoy
Harbor Seal - Both
River Otter - Point Hudson Marina
Elephant Seal - P
Deer - P