Hawkin at the Fill

William Rietveld w_rietveld at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 10:44:35 PST 1999

Hi Ruth -
Yes this bird was in the dead cottonwood.  He/She was heavily streaked, and
I have not seen enough Peregrines to know whether it was a mature female or
immature male/female.  The back  of the head and nape of the neck some
streaking with lighter feathers. He/she also had some redness in the lower
breast feathers, but I thought that was probably blood smear from one of her
recent meals.  She would return to perch in the cottonwood and would alight
on the end of one of the vertical branches that had been broken off.
Sometimes it would take her a while to get comfortable/balanced.  I did see
a band on her right leg, and thought that there also might have been one on
the left leg, but couldn't be sure. Interestingly enough, the crows were not
paying her much attention, even though there were many in the area.  The
Coop was an immature bird and the crows were also leaving her alone.  The
only harassment we saw was a gull giving a red tail hawk a hard time. There
was a huge (100's) flock of crows over the University somewhere, but we
couldn't tell if they were mobbing a raptor or not.

Bill and Kate
Lake Sammamish
w_rietveld at hotmail.com