Help save Nisqually!!

MBlanchrd at aol.com MBlanchrd at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 10:10:59 PDT 1999

Hi, Tweeters,

   At this past weekends open house at Nisqually NWR, flyers were handed out
to request our help. THurston County is planning on allowing an asphalt plant
to be built in the Delta. Yes, again.............

I will quote the flyer:

flyer:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------
"Your tax dollars have been spent to keep the Nisqually Basin pristine and
protected from big development and industry.
Now Thurston County wants to allow an asphalt plant to be built in the valley
near
Nisqually River and salmon runs, drinking water sources, fish hatcheries,
organic vegetable farms, bird and wildlife sanctuary, and family dwellings.

You can help put a stop to this. Please write your protest to:

Tammy Trager
Thurston Co. Planning
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW
Olympia, WA  98502

Please, everybody, we need every letter we can get to stop this. A couple
years ago the county said that the Delta and Basin were to remain
agricultural and rural """in perpetuity"""..(well, I guess it's up now and I
didn't even hear the horn blow).
 A few years ago, the county shut down a Nisqually dairy farmer because he
didn't have a manure lagoon big enough to handle all his cattle's manure. The
Country cited concerns about water quality and used Nisqually NWR as the main
reason for  forcing the man out of business. They were so concerned about
"water quality" when really all they wanted was his land.

Now the County is talking out of the other side of it's two faced
head.......it wants to put in an ASPHALT plant? Fumes, chemicals,
carcinogens, noise, traffic, trucks, not to  mention the loss of green space,
habitat and riparian corridors....that's not as damaging as cow manure??? My
aunt's fanny isn't it. This is all about money, the country wants it and
doesn't give a rip about wildlife. I can just see how many species of birds
will be allowed to nest in an asphalt plant. (three..pigeons, starlings and
house sparrows.)
Please folks, write write write and stop this nonsense. Nisqually is a jewel
that deserves protection.

Michelle Blanchard
MBlanchrd at aol.com
Olympia, WA