Need Help with Bird ID

MBlanchrd at MBlanchrd at
Fri Aug 18 18:20:53 PDT 2000

In a message dated 08/18/2000 4:40:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
NJPharris at writes:

<< The bird was about the size of a robin (which is what I thought it was
> I saw the head) The breast was a very pale orangish yellow. No streaks.
> There were white eye stripes and a white streak across the top of the
head. >>

This is really wierd, but..........I have the same looking bird in my
backyard. He's grey, pretty much, all over. Robin size and thrush jizz. I
suspect it's as Nick says, it's a juvenile Black Headed Grosbeak, a pair of
whom I had in my feeder the entire summer. He's helping himself to the
birdbath water (I've never seen a BH Grosbeak bathing in it.) and filling up
in the bird feeders. Goooood bird. Haven't seen adult Grosbeaks in a couple
weeks, although I heard one stanza of song about a week ago.
MBlanchrd at
Oly, WA