Washington BirdBox 8/20/2000 to 8/27/2000

Jane Hadley jhadle at uswest.net
Sun Aug 27 22:32:38 PDT 2000

Transcribed by Jane Hadley
 jhadle at uswest.net
 phone: (206) 328-7605

 The Washington BirdBox is a voice mailbox sponsored by
 the Washington Ornithological Society. To leave a message
 about a notable sighting, or to listen to the messages from the
 last seven days, call (425) 454-2662 and follow the
 prompts.

 Hal Opperman is system administrator
 (halop at accessone.com; personal phone 425-635-0503).

 Please contact me (Jane Hadley) by phone or e-mail if you
 have any corrections, comments or questions about this
 transcription.

 August 27, 2000, 11:39 a.m. This morning August 27th at
 Point No Point at the northeast tip of the Kitsap Peninsula --
 this is Vic Nelson -- I had 2000+ COMMON TERNS, one
 CASPIAN TERN, a thousand BONAPARTE'S GULLS, a
 thousand to 2,000 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES,
 CALIFORNIA, HEERMANN'S,
 GLAUCOUS-WINGED, RING-BILLED, AND MEW
 GULLS, the first two PARASITIC JAEGERS that I've seen
 this fall, one PEREGRINE FALCON harassing the
 PHALAROPES and the TERNS, and, for good measure,
 one MINKE WHALE out in mid-channel, heading west.
 That's all. Thank you. Goodbye.

 Saturday, August 26, 2000, 2:42 p.m. Yeah, this is Mike
 Blue in Renton, and my number is 425-255-9349. Spent a
 couple days over in the Ocean Shores area, and on the 24th
 had the two BAR-TAILED GODWITS in Tokeland, about
 6 p.m., and yesterday at Ocean Shores, the pond at Damon
 Point, I had one PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER. And the
 YELLOW-BILLED LOON was still present at the jetty by
 the Game Range. Pretty easy to find.

 Friday August 25, 2000, 5:34 p.m. Hi, Tom Aversa at
 206-782-7342. Not much to report, but since things are so
 sparse on here, I thought I'd report a few migrants from
 Wednesday, I guess the 23rd - kind of belated at this point.
 Decent amounts of migrants moving through the Columbia
 River area and beyond that to the east. Nothing really of
 note. Really quite a concentration of NIGHTHAWKS over
 Stampede Pass Tuesday night. About 80 birds up there, so I
 found that to be kind of notable. And that's about it. You get
 out there, those warblers are moving through.

 Monday August 21, 2000, 5:46 p.m. Hello, this is Kraig
 Kemper. 206-789-9255, reporting for Friday, Saturday,
 Sunday, August 18th, 19th and 20th, birding Okanogan
 County with Kathy Kemper. Highlights Friday, August 18th,
 included five THREE-TOED WOODPECKER and one
 BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER and a total of five
 BOREAL CHICKADEE. The first THREE-TOED
 WOODPECKER was located at Milepost 1 beyond where
 Forest Road 39 meets Forest Road 37. Another pair of
 THREE-TOED WOODPECKER located at Rogers Lake,
 and at Milepost 16 in a newer burn, a pair of
 THREE-TOED WOODPECKER and one male
 BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER. Three BOREAL
 CHICKADEES were seen between Milepost 4 and 5 along
 the road bordering Brown's Meadow. Saturday, August
 19th, while hiking to Freezeout Ridge, we located another
 female THREE-TOED WOODPECKER and watched a
 PRAIRIE FALCON stoop an AMERICAN KESTREL
 AND NORTHERN GOSHAWK. Six BOREAL
 CHICKADEES were seen north of Freezeout Ridge before
 the hairpin turn to Brown's Meadow, and nine SPRUCE
 GROUSE were observed 4/10ths of a mile north of
 Parachute Meadows, and another five observed beyond
 Milepost 16, where Forest Road 39 meets Forest Road
 150. Returning Sunday, south on Highway 97, north of the
 town of Monse, we located one GREAT EGRET on the
 west side of the Okanogan River. Thank you.

 Monday, August 21, 2000, 8:37 a.m. Hi, this is Stephen
 Mlodinow. Yesterday Steve Pink and I birded around
 Whidbey Island. Highlights included a juvenile RED KNOT
 and two SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS at Crockett
 Lake. That's it. Good luck and good birding.

--
Jane Hadley
jhadle at uswest.net
Seattle, WA