Willamette Valley Raptors

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Sun Dec 3 20:29:19 PST 2000

Willamette Valley Raptors

I had a meeting in Eugene on Saturday which gave me the opportunity
to drive down the Valley counting raptors. The route Friday took me
down I-5 to the Covallis exit then down 99E to Junction City, across
Beltline back to I-5 and Cottage Grove. Sunday we came back I-5 to
Coburg Rd, Peoria Rd, 126 to Looney Ln, 99E to Albany, then Springhill
Rd, Independence Hwy, River Rd with an hour stop at Minto-Brown Island,
hwy 221 to Lafayette and finally hwy 47 to Banks.

And in all that farm land, I was surprised at the dearth of Buteo-
type raptors. The kestrel counts were higher than expected , however.

12/01/2000

Red-tailed Hawk 38
American Kestrel 20
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1

12-03-2000

Red-tailed Hawk 27
American Kestrel 31
Snowy Owl 1

Also seen:
Great Egret south of Peoria.
Trumpeter Swan near Unionvale

--
Mike Patterson Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR it is not enough to be persecuted