Willamette Valley Raptors

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Sun Dec 3 20:29:19 PST 2000

Willamette Valley Raptors

I had a meeting in Eugene on Saturday which gave me the opportunity
to drive down the Valley counting raptors. The route Friday took me
down I-5 to the Covallis exit then down 99E to Junction City, across
Beltline back to I-5 and Cottage Grove. Sunday we came back I-5 to
Coburg Rd, Peoria Rd, 126 to Looney Ln, 99E to Albany, then Springhill
Rd, Independence Hwy, River Rd with an hour stop at Minto-Brown Island,
hwy 221 to Lafayette and finally hwy 47 to Banks.

And in all that farm land, I was surprised at the dearth of Buteo-
type raptors. The kestrel counts were higher than expected , however.

Red-tailed Hawk 38
American Kestrel 20
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1

Red-tailed Hawk 27
American Kestrel 31
Snowy Owl 1

Also seen:
Great Egret south of Peoria.
Trumpeter Swan near Unionvale

Mike Patterson Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR it is not enough to be persecuted
celata at pacifier.com by an unkind establishment,
you must also be right.
---Robert Park