BOTTLE BEACH and COMMON TERNS:

Ruth Sullivan godwit at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 15 18:43:37 PDT 2000

Hello Tweeters,
After going to Ocean Shores last Wednesday what din't produced to many species of Shorebirds, i decided to try Bottle beach this morning.High Tide was at 1:22 PM so i was there early enough to see the tide comming in.There was not to many Shorebird yet,and i Scoped the gulls on water edge.What i found was 6 caspian terns and two Common Terns staying close together.The CaspinTerns looked like giants agaist the smaler species of Common.I remember seeing the Common Terns last year in Ocean Shores on 25th of July,both records are early sightings.
Also at Bottle beach Where :
3 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS
16 WHIMBREL
35 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS
150 WESTERN SANPIPERS
55 LEAST  SANDPIPERS
1BIRD LOCKED DIFFERENT: Smal size like the Western.BLACK LEGS,STRONG SHORT BILL,ROUFOUS HEAD REACHING TO THE NECK.One completly diffrent look against the paler  Western.I favour RUFOUS -NECKED STINT. I stayed a long time studdy this bird to a couple came with a dog and chased all the birds of.This is the second time this happen where people came with Dogs,last time it was a birder what was bringing there dog having fun ,seeing this birds flying fort and back chased by this Dog.I heared other birders experienced the same incident with Dogs.One  keep in mind that confronting this people can end up with  something not so pleasant,special when you birding alone.

Ruth Sullivan
Tacoma
godwit at worldnet.att.net