Tacoma falcons - new photos

Dan Victor dcv at scn.org
Thu Jun 29 06:39:05 PDT 2000

  \\\\-.___                    /\___/\                    ___.-////
    <_/                       | O   O |                       \_>
                              |___V___|

This message is being forwarded to Tweeters (by Dan Victor) because the
original sender is *not* subscribed.  Please copy this email address
with any responses : mailto:kipw at aa.net

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:53:50 -0700
From: Kip Wylie <kipw at aa.net>

Hi All,

  I was down at our office under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, when we got a
call from Progressive Animal Welfare Society. Apparently one of our young
peregrines had fallen into the waters of the Thea Foss Waterway, and a
concerned live aboard down at the marina fished it out and called them. I
was asked if I'd climb up and return it to the east counterweight. So, at
around 2:45, I met up with Kevin Mack, naturalist, wildlife dept of PAWS,
and his partner. In his hand he had a pet carrying box with the young
peregrine in it. I then climbed up to the counterweight to return him
where the belongs. About halfway up Mickee started strafing me with some
impressive acrobatics. When I reached the height of the counterweight on
the ladder, I very quickly jumped over to the platform and opened the box.
She/He hopped out immediately and started yelling at me. I took a few very
quick shots with a digital camera and made a speedy retreat. We saw at
least four birds up in the steel members of the bridge.... Mickee and
three others, plus the one I returned. I sure wish Jim was still around to
keep track of these things.

  It has been my intention to stay away from these birds and cut them a
wide berth, but I needed to respond to this request as it came from PAWS,
and they had the bird. Kevin informed me that the staff there gave him a
checkup and he was healthy and unharmed in any way.

                 Kip

Here are links to today's pictures on a server, you may use them wherever
you wish::
 http://members.aa.net/~kipw/falcons/MVC-060F.JPG
 http://members.aa.net/~kipw/falcons/MVC-064F.JPG

--