St. Martin's Campus, Lacey

Douglas Canning dcanning at igc.org
Sat Mar 4 03:22:17 PST 2000

During the past week, on my noon-hour walks from the Dept of Ecology
building along the trails through the woodlands and old fields on the
St. Martin's College campus, I've been seeing a few signs of spring.
Paired MALLARDS are on the old sewage ponds. The AMERICAN ROBIN
flocks are arriving, numbering up to 16 when they flock on the lawns.
Male RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS, present since January, are now
establishing territories in the Cat-tail stands in the stormwater
ponds. A flock of up to 15 PINE SISKINS have been foraging in the
canopy of the same Red Alder stand all week. Also, the immature RED-
TAILED HAWK I saw would seem to indicate that the pair of RED-TAILS I
was seeing here last year successfully raised at least one young.

Other birds seen or heard here this past week:
American Crow
Golden-crowned Kinglet flocks
Ruby-crowned Kinglet flocks
Black-capped Chickadee
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
Oregon Junco

For a checklist of St. Martin's Campus take a visit to BirdNotes at
http://birdnotes.net

Douglas Canning
Olympia, Washington
dcanning at igc.org