Oops, white eyelids, not nictitating membrane.

Maureen Ellis me2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 4 12:31:31 PDT 2000

Ian,
I am educated..........I always thought the Dipper 'eye-alarm' was the
membrane........there must be some special set of muscles that allow the
white eyelids to be made more visible on demand? Gotta look into bird
anatomy and physiology a tad more. I had never seen this behavior in any
bird except the Dipper. Seeing the flashbulb eye alarm in the Crow made
the bird look quite ominous, an avian 'Terminator' effect. Thanks for
education, and I am sending this to Tweeters' group for the clarification
to others.
See Ian's email message below.
Cheers, me2
Maureen Ellis, PhD, Research Scientist
Toxicology Group at Roos 1, 284A
Lab/Office phone: 206-685-1938
Dept of Environmental Health, Mailstop 354695
School of Public Health and Community Medicine
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98115

Personal Financial Analyst
Primerica division of Citigroup, Inc.
VoiceTell: 206-213-7430

E-Mail: me2 at u.washington.edu
"Why are we now traveling into space? Why, indeed, did we trouble to look
past the next mountain? Our prime obligation to ourselves is to make the
unknown known. We are on a journey to keep an appointment with whatever
we are."_____Gene Roddenberry