Nighttime calling bird?

Mike Cummings mook at drizzle.com
Tue Oct 24 15:04:57 PDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, mail to:jbroadus at seanet.com wrote:

> On 24 Oct 00, at 13:15, Mike Cummings wrote:
>
> > A couple nights ago, at about 10:30, I went out into my backyard to look
> > at the stars. We have a big tree back there which is often frequented by a
> > band-tailed pigeon. When I got to the middle of the yard, I heard a sharp,
> > high-pitched "tseeeee!" It was LOUD, and made me jump. The sound lasted
> > about half a second, and the pitch tailed downward ever so slightly at the
> > end. It definitely came from the big tree. I heard it a couple more
> > times, then it stopped. I got the distinct sensation of being scolded. Any
> > ideas on what this loud night-bird may have been?

> If it counded like a hissing noise, don't rule out the possibility of possum(s).
> They sound a lot like a cat hissing, but loud.

No, it wasn't a hissing sound. It was a sharp, clear note. It didn't sound
like a barn owl to me (although I have seen them in that tree
before). Correct me if I'm wrong, but barn owls usually give a raspy,
harsh noise, don't they?

I hope it was an owl. Maybe he'll come back!

Mike Cummings
Seattle, WA (Maple Leaf)
mook at drizzle.com