Spencer Island 9/3/00

Netta Smith netta at jps.net
Sun Sep 3 14:41:45 PDT 2000

Hello, tweeters.

I had such a good birding trip this morning at Spencer Island that I
wanted to share it.  There were lots of migrants, including a few species
I'd never before seen at this locality (asterisked below).  We walked
around the north loop from 9:30-11:30, a sunny, warm (and surprisingly
muggy) walk, ideal conditions for birding.  This is what we saw/heard
(birds on sewage ponds added in parentheses).  The tide was very high, so
no shorebird foraging habitat.  Our time was constrained, so I didn't
check out every single flash of feathers as I might have at another time.

Pied-billed Grebe - 5
Great Blue Heron - 8
Canada Goose - (100)
Green-winged Teal - 50
Mallard - 30
Northern Pintail - 50
Northern Shoveler - 100 (10)
Gadwall - (3)
American Wigeon - 1
Ruddy Duck - (6)
quite a few distant female-plumaged ducks were left unidentified (they
didn't complain)
Osprey - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Virginia Rail - at least 6 heard
American Coot - 20 (20)
Solitary Sandpiper - 1*
Western Sandpiper - (7)
Mew Gull - (10)
Ring-billed Gull - 1 (10)
Glaucous-winged Gull - (10)
Rock Dove - 1
Vaux's Swift - 6
Belted Kingfisher - 4
Red-breasted Sapsucker - 1 juv.*
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Western Wood-Pewee - 2
Willow Flycatcher - 12
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - 1
Purple Martin - 20+* (roosting on tall snags all along slough on east
side island)
Tree Swallow - 1
Violet-green Swallow - 12
Bank Swallow - 5
Cliff Swallow - 1
Barn Swallow - 400
surely more of all the swallow species, mixed in a sky full of Barn
Swallows
Steller's Jay - 3 (a great place to see this "resident" species on the
move)
American Crow - 3
Black-capped Chickadee - 8
House Wren - 1*
Marsh Wren - 8
Swainson's Thrush - 1
American Robin - 10
Cedar Waxwing - 40
European Starling - 12
Orange-crowned Warbler - 4
Yellow Warbler - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2
MacGillivray's Warbler - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 2
lots more warblers, many flitting through the trees and shrubs remained
unidentified
Western Tanager - 5
Black-headed Grosbeak - 1
Spotted Towhee - 1
Savannah Sparrow - 5
Song Sparrow - 5
Lincoln's Sparrow - 8
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 1
Purple Finch - 2
House Finch - 30
American Goldfinch - 8

The total of 57 species on a 2-hour walk this close to Seattle impressed
me.  I think this is one of the *great* birding spots in the local area.
For all its extensive freshwater marshes, however, it's not very
productive of dragonflies!

Dennis Paulson

Netta Smith and Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.