Fw: This morning on Coxcomb Hill - 9/10/2000

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 12 07:12:28 PDT 2000

The flock at my house was not the same flock seen on Coxcomb Hill.
There was a general fallout.

I don't quite understand your question:
"...were any of these "high counts" from your monitoring
of numbers on Coxcomb Hill?"

All counts under the heading of "This morning on Coxcomb Hill"
are from Coxcomb Hill and the numbers given represent birds
seen there.  The count on Sunday (including unidentified warblers),
some 97 individual warblers, represented a single active flock,
breaking the previous record of 70 in a single flock.  One would
have to be at Coxcomb Hill during one of these fallouts to get a
good sense of how spectacular they are.

Last year's compilation for Coxcomb is at:
http://columbia-pacific.interrain.org/ahscience/neotrops/coxcomb.html
I will be putting up this year's running total soon.

Hermit Warbler is a common breeder in the Coast Range.  They are
easily found at Nicolai Mt and Saddle Mt (see:
http://columbia-pacific.interrain.org/ahscience/nicmt/BBSCOMP.html )
and would, I suspect, be easily found in southwest Washington, if
access were easier and surveys regularly done (and one could find
habitat that hadn't been clearcut).