Eliguk Lake Birding

Hughbirder at aol.com Hughbirder at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 15:18:47 PDT 2000

I just got back from about three weeks at Eliguk Lake in Central BC. It is a
lake about 3-1/2 mile long x 1/2 to 1 mile wide lake. It is 40 miles from the
nearest road and is access by float plane. There is only one lodge with 6
cabins on the lake and is rather isolated. I have been keeping track of the
birds seen there for eight trips now. The following is a list of the 31 birds
seen/heard on this trip:

Pied-billed Grebe -1 on one day
Red-necked Grebe - seen regularly, up to nine in a group
Mallard
Lesser Scaup - 3
Common Merganser - 6 females were seen regularly on the lake, usually near the
shoreline. Two days before I left there were only five.
American Bittern - one bird, I assume, seen in same area on two days
Osprey - seen regularly, four were circling overhead at one time.
Bald Eagle - seen regularly, an immature fledged from one nest about Aug. 24
which seems rather late.
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Red-tailed Hawk -1
Spruce Grouse - 1-2 seen on each walk thru the woods on MacKenzie Trail
Sandhill Crane - heard most mornings between 0630-0700 from directions of
some nearby meadows.
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Wilson's Phalarope - 1 seen in middle of lake feeding on midges
California Gull
Bonaparte's Gull - 12-15 were on the lake most of one day
Common Loon - seen regularly, up to 10 in the morning in one group
Belted Kingfisher
Three-toed Woodpecker - 4 seen on different days and others heard
Northern Flicker
Olive-sided Flycatcher - 4 or more heard on Aug. 10, but none after that.
Gray Jay - seen regularly
American Crow - numerous
Common Raven - numerous
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Barn Swallow
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Black-capped Chickadee
Pine Grosbeak - 2 heard and seen at top of pine tree
Northern Waterthrush - seen twice along shoreline trail. A "lifer" for me.
Dark-eyed Junco - numerous

Hugh Jennings
Bellevue, WA
hughbirder at aol.com