re Weird Hybrid

Joanne H. Powell jhpowell at iea.com
Wed Sep 6 06:21:26 PDT 2000

Good morning, Jack and all:

The speckled body color/pattern was why I thought it was a starling hybrid.
The plumage was exactly like the winter starling. The jizz was wrong for a
starling; the head was a light cocoa brown with no markings at all - just a
smooth even color. If you look at the head of a gila flicker with its clear
demarcation line between body and head you'll see what I mean. I was hoping
an ornithologist out there might be able to tell me if starlings ever
hybridize. I know how easy it is for the picture in your head to become
blurred after a few days so, for all I know, what I saw was a mutant
starling! Naturally there is supposed to be great weather the next few days
and on Saturday, the only day I can lurk in the shadows and try to get a
picture, it's supposed to rain! Arghh!! If I'm lucky I'll get a shot and
get the picture on line as soon as possible.

Regards, Joanne
Reardan (Spokane) WA
mailto: jhpowell at iea.com