WA BirdBox 9/5/00 to 9/10/00

Franny Drobny fdrobny at cairncross.com
Mon Sep 11 14:17:06 PDT 2000

The Washington BirdBox is a voice mailbox sponsored by the Washington
Ornithological Society. To leave a message about a notable sighting, or to
listen to the messages from the last seven days, call (425) 454-2662 and
follow the prompts. Hal Opperman is system administrator
(halop at accessone.com <mailto:halop at accessone.com> ); personal phone
425-635-0503).

Please contact me (Franny Drobny) by phone (206) 892-3222 or e-mail
fdrobny at cairncross.com <mailto:fdrobny at cairncross.com> if you have any
corrections, comments or questions about this transcription. Last report
transcribed by Franny Drobny on Tuesday, September 5, 2000, at 12:59 p.m.

September 5, 2000, Tuesday, 3:51 p.m. John O'Connell, Anacortes, (360)
299-4375. Today at approximately 1:00 p.m. at the Stanwood sewage ponds,
birds of note were 5 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE and 1 FRANKLIN'S GULL. Thanks.

September 6, 2000, Wednesday, 7:47 p.m. This is Vic Nelson. Today at 11:00
o'clock on Point-No-Point at the northeast tip of the Kitsap Peninsula, I
had an adult SABINE'S GULL in mostly alternate plumage. It was with 4 or
500 BONAPARTE'S and approximately 50 to 100 COMMON TERNS. There were also 2
or 3 PARASITIC JAEGERS in the area and a few RED-NECKED PHALAROPES are still
here. Thank you. Good bye.

September 7, 2000, Thursday, 9:00 p.m. Yeah, hi, this is Barry Lyon birding
with Bob Sundstrom on the Victor Emmanuel Nature Tours. This afternoon,
which is September the 7th, we saw 3 BAR-TAILED GODWITS with the flock of a
couple hundred MARBLED GODWITS at the usual spot at Tokeland Marine this
afternoon. Thank you.

September 8, 2000, Friday, 10:43 p.m. Hello, this is Kraig Kemper, (206)
789-9255, reporting for Friday, September 8th. In Snohomish County at the
Stanwood Sewage Lagoons I relocated the FRANKLIN'S GULL reported earlier.
And this evening on the Samish Flats in Skagit County I located 1
SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER with a group of PECTORAL SANDPIPER west of Thomas
Road on Steel's (?) Road, about a quarter mile west on the north side of the
road. Thank you.

September 9, 2000, Saturday, 8:44 p.m. Yeah, hi, this is Barry Lyon birding
with Bob Sundstrom again of Victor Emmanuel Nature Tours. Today we had at
the Hoquiam Ponds off of Highway 109, we had 5 PURPLE MARTINS on the
telephone lines surrounding the sewage, the enclosed sewage pond there. And
then also today at the Damon Point pond at Ocean Shores we had numerous
GOLDEN PLOVER, approximately 7 individuals, 3 of which were certainly
PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER, another 2 of which were certainly AMERICAN GOLDEN
PLOVER, and then another couple that we were a bit undecided on. Good
birding.

September 10, 2000, Sunday, 7:27 a.m. This is Vic Nelson. Yesterday at
Point-No-Point, at the northeast tip of the Kitsap peninsula, I had at least
12 PARASITIC JAEGERS and one POMARINE JAEGER, along with several hundred
COMMON TERNS and 500 to 1,000 BONAPARTE'S GULLS, probably 50 to 100
HEERMANN'S GULLS, which could be confused with the JAEGERS, but watch
closely. There are still a few RED-NECKED PHALAROPES and there's also an
elephant seal in the area, which is not unusual for this time of year at
Point-No-Point. Thank you. Good bye.

September 10, 2000, Sunday, 8:57 p.m. Hello, this is Scott Atkinson. I
have birds to report from Fir Island today in Skagit County. This afternoon
I relocated the NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH reported a couple weeks back above the
dike trail at the game range. Also present, 8 flyover GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
GEESE. At the Jensen access I had a juvenile SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER in a
small group of PECTORALS. Also a very large concentration of COMMON
MERGANSERS here on the bay. At the Skagit City farm pond, which is on the
north end of Fir Island, near the confluence of Skagit City and Moore Roads,
a juvenile SOLITARY SANDPIPER and a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE. Then at a small
slough on the south side of Mann Road, just about a quarter mile east of the
Skagit game range headquarters entrance, I had an early female EURASIAN
WIGEON. That's it.

September 10, 2000, Sunday, 10:27 p.m. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinow. Today
Rick Romea and I birded various spots in the Columbia Basin. Highlights
included a BLACK SWIFT and a GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW at Vantage. In Othello,
there was another GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. At Othello there was also a
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, about 20 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS, about 5 PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, 6 STILT SANDPIPERS, 1 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, a late WILSON'S
PHALAROPE. I think I've covered the good shorebirds there. At Linn Coulee,
at the east end of Potholes, there were 4 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, 3
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, a SOLITARY SANDPIPER, 40 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, and
handful of BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS. That's about it, good luck and good birding.

September 10, 2000, Sunday, 11:11 p.m. Jan Bragg, (206) 524-3460. There
was a SHORT-EARED OWL this evening at Magnusson Park in Seattle, as well as
2 HORNED LARKS.

This transcription completed on Monday, September 11, 2000, at 2:12 p.m.

[INFO] -- Content Manager:
Privileged and confidential communication. If you are not the addressee, you may not read, copy, or distribute this email. If you receive this email in error, please advise us by return email and call (206) 587-0700. Thank you.