Columbia Estuary Report - 9/26/2000

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 26 14:18:43 PDT 2000

Columbia Estuary Report - 9/26/2000

Michelle and I took a trip up to Nicolai Mt. this morning on the
chance there might be some interesting migration stuff going on.
A flock of 50+ VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS were flying around the towers
at the top and there were good numbers of RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS
and FOX SPARROWS. On the way down via the mainline, I came across
a mixed flock of GRAY JAYS (4), TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS, BLACK-THROATED
GRAY WARBLERS and a single YELLOW WARBLER, along with SONG SPARROWS
and OREGON JUNCOS.

Two SNOWY PLOVERS (both hatch-year; one still with strong scalloping)
were on the beach just meters north of the Sunset Beach access on
Sunday. They were not banded. Also on the beach were 5 WHIMBREL,
1281 SANDERLINGS, and 38 WESTERN SANDPIPERS.

1 or 2 LAPLAND LONGSPURS have been at the SJCR for the last week.
A HORNED LARK has also been reported. The east wind has made for
slim pickings, about 30 RED-THROATED LOONS and 3 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS
were on the ocean off the jetty.

Intermittently strong movements of CALIFORNIA TORTOISESHELLS,
PAINTED LADIES and RED ADMIRALS continue with the prevailing
easterlies.

--
Mike Patterson Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR it is not enough to be persecuted