Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co. WA) 4/4/2001

Michael Hobbs Hummer at isomedia.com
Wed Apr 4 12:53:42 PDT 2001

Tweets -

Seven of us had a glorious morning at Marymoor today.  The sun was shining,
birds were singing, lots of nesting activity, etc.

Highlights:

EUR. G-W. TEAL               Male in natural pond at Rowing Club
Bald Eagle                         Adult & immature hunting lake ducks
Merlin                                One streaked past near the RC dock
Virginia Rail                        Heard one from the boardwalk
Common Snipe                  Hugh had 1 near weir
Brown Creeper                    2 at east end of boardwalk
Orange-crowned Warbler     Nice look near first footbridge
Yellow-rumpled Warbler      Myrtle & Audubon's
Common Yellowthroat        Gorgeous male on far side of slough
Savannah Sparrow             Nice look, plus many singing birds (20)
Western Meadowlark         1 in East Meadow

Nesting evidence:

Red-tailed Hawk                Adult on odd-snag nest AND adult on
                                        last year's nest near the Rowing Club
Hairy Woodpecker            Female working on same hole near RC dock
Northern Flicker                Pair entering/exiting holes in snag
Tree Swallow                    At least two nest holes noted,
                                       plus interest shown in one of the
birdhouses
Black-capped Chickadee   Excavating nest holes - at least two found
Bushtit                            Building nest near first footbridge
Song Sparrow                  Copulation observed
House Sparrow                 Female bringing materials to birdhouse

While they don't really "nest", I don't suppose, we also got to observe a pair
of RIVER OTTER copulating on the far side of the slough from the lake platform.
They seemed a bit put-out on having an audience, and they moved to a more
private location.  However, we could still hear them.

At least 9 Painted Turtle and 1 Red-eared Slider at the RC ponds.

In all, a great morning, with 53 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland WA
== Hummer at isomedia.com
== http://www.scn.org/fomp/birding.htm