Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co. WA) 4/4/2001

Michael Hobbs Hummer at
Wed Apr 4 12:53:42 PDT 2001

Tweets -

Seven of us had a glorious morning at Marymoor today. The sun was shining,
birds were singing, lots of nesting activity, etc.

EUR. G-W. TEAL Male in natural pond at Rowing Club
Bald Eagle Adult & immature hunting lake ducks
Merlin One streaked past near the RC dock
Virginia Rail Heard one from the boardwalk
Common Snipe Hugh had 1 near weir
Brown Creeper 2 at east end of boardwalk
Orange-crowned Warbler Nice look near first footbridge
Yellow-rumpled Warbler Myrtle & Audubon's
Common Yellowthroat Gorgeous male on far side of slough
Savannah Sparrow Nice look, plus many singing birds (20)
Western Meadowlark 1 in East Meadow

Nesting evidence:

Red-tailed Hawk Adult on odd-snag nest AND adult on
last year's nest near the Rowing Club
Hairy Woodpecker Female working on same hole near RC dock
Northern Flicker Pair entering/exiting holes in snag
Tree Swallow At least two nest holes noted,
plus interest shown in one of the
Black-capped Chickadee Excavating nest holes - at least two found
Bushtit Building nest near first footbridge
Song Sparrow Copulation observed
House Sparrow Female bringing materials to birdhouse

While they don't really "nest", I don't suppose, we also got to observe a pair
of RIVER OTTER copulating on the far side of the slough from the lake platform.
They seemed a bit put-out on having an audience, and they moved to a more
private location. However, we could still hear them.

At least 9 Painted Turtle and 1 Red-eared Slider at the RC ponds.

In all, a great morning, with 53 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland WA
== Hummer at