No Stilt Sandpiper

David Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sun Dec 2 15:57:24 PST 2001

Back on September 9, 2001, I reported a Stilt Sandpiper at the Nisqually
Refuge. After lengthy reviews and discussions, the photos clearly show
the bird was indeed a Pectoral Sandpiper in a alert posture. Being
unfamiliar with the erect stance of the Pectoral, and seeing how much
taller it was next to the other two Pectorals, I made a hasty call,
stating the bird was a Stilt. I find this mistake to be valuable
learning experience, for that I can only better myself.

Dave Hayden
Lakewood
dtvhm at nwrain.com