Annual Skagit Flats Hawk Census

WAYNE WEBER contopus at
Thu Feb 22 05:45:02 PST 2001

Thanks very much for posting the results of the Skagit/Samish Flats
Hawk Census. The effort put into this is impressive, and the results
are intriguing. Do you have a report, or a speadsheet somewhere, that
compares the results from different years?

For your information, we in British Columbia started doing cooperative
raptor counts in the Fraser Delta area in 1970. These counts were
started by Wayne Campbell, and have been coordinated by the Vancouver
Natural History Society. They have been carried out not once a year,
but either once a month or once every 2 months, year-round. There was
a break in coverage-- the raptor counts were dropped sometime in the
1980s and re-started in the mid-1990s-- but the amount of accumulated
information is enormous.  We have counted Northern Shrikes as well as
hawks and owls, because they are predatory birds that are found in the
same areas and easily counted.

A summary report was written on the first 15 years or so of Fraser
Delta raptor counts, but I don't seem to have a copy.

For more information on the Fraser Delta raptor counts, you may
contact Jude Grass at jude.grass at , or Kyle Elliott at
kelliott at . Jude and Kyle have both coordinated the
raptor counts at different times.

Keep up the great work-- it's well worth the effort!

Wayne C, Weber
Kamloops and Delta, BC
contopus at